Factories in the Great war

Many existing factories in the area went over to war production. The Genotin Blouse Factory in Enfield Town went over to the production of military shirts.  The Bycullah Athenaeum was taken over by Klingers

for the manufacture of military clothing and hospital garments. Many small munitions factories sprang up such as those in the old cartridge factory in Tile Kiln Lane. Weir Hall was requisitioned for use as a munitions factory.  Furniture factories were used to make airplane parts. Existing military factories such as the Royal Small Arms in Enfield Lock rapidly expanded, taking on more workers.

Eley’s Cartridge Factory

Eley’s in Angel Road Edmonton made munitions including hand grenades and anti-Zeppelin bullets

Ponders End Shell factory

Established in late 1914 it became one of the largest munitions works in the country. In 1918 during the German offensive the workers doubled their production working around the clock. The works closed in 1919.

Morsons

Morsons chemical factory set up in Ponders End in 1901. The First World War saw major expansion making opiates, antiseptic field dressings for the troops and allegedly the first poison gas.

Morson's Interior
Morson’s Interior

United Flexible Tubing

This was set up in the former crape factory. The tubing was used by the Admiralty for charging torpedoes, re-fueling submarines and as part of early submarine detection equipment.

United Flexible Metal Tubing
United Flexible Metal Tubing

Ediswans

The war created a huge demand for parts for radios leading to an increase in production of valves at Ediswans. This in turn led to an increase in profits.

Bellings

Most of Bellings production was given over to war work. They made heating and cooking equipment for submarines, large baking and steaming ovens for canteens, and electric glue-pots for industrial purposes.

Royal Small Arms

This began production in 1816. By the First World War it was producing the Short Magazine Lee-Enfield rifle which was the standard British Infantry weapon in both world wars. Over 2 million of these were made during the First World War. Jobs there were well paid and much sought after. By June 1917 7040 men, 1448 women and 1095 boys were employed at the factory. They were producing 10,500 rifles a week.

Advertisements